Monday, July 11, 2011

Writing with One Hand

Pesky.  That is the only word that aptly describes trying to write with one hand, your non-dominant hand no less, whilst not having anything to firmly hold the paper, greeting card, or whatever in place.

Here is one solution.  Cut some of that nifty non-slip pad that I talked about earlier so that it fits the back of a clip board.  It does not have to fit perfectly, but does need to be smaller than the clip board.  Elmer's glue works just fine to mount the non-slip material to the back of the clip board if you let the glue dry for 24 hours.

Now you are ready to slide your paper under the clip of the clip board (remember to use your four finger and thumb like Tomme-K told you!) and start writing.  Any more ideas?

3 comments:

  1. I was right hand dominant until a "simple" surgery left me with nerve damage and constant nerve pain. In learning to write with my left hand I am able to hold the paper down with my right but it was and is a huge struggle to have patience at 46 to re-learn to write. What I have done is to purchase a small notebook so I don't feel overwhelmed by a big page size. Then everynight I MAKE myself find something positive that I can write about. I have been able to track my slow progress to where my writing/printing looks less like a toddler than a month ago. I think finding something, anything positive to write about helps give me perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to find this website. on july 12, 2013, I was in a motorcycle accident. my humerus was broken and repaired with surgery. the break of the humerus damaged and stretched the surrounding nerves. I have a brachialplexis nerve injury. I have lost the use of my tricep, my wrist, and my right hand. I had a nerve transplant and grafting surgery in November, 2013. one year from now, possibly Christmas of 2014, I will see some movement. we don't know how many fingers I will regain use of. I am a pianist. I have found piano music composed for one handed piano. I love to sew and knit. my husband has had to do the cooking. how do we cut potatoes and carrots one handed? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I created the solution. A non-slip mat that is compatible with any letter-sized paper. StayPut Mat. I developed it for my kids because their paper was always slipping on the table. I'd be happy to send you a free one! www.staypuymat.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Single Handed Life. A few rules:

(1) Be kind. Do no harm. This includes being critical of people, products, manufacturers and anything else that someone else may be getting benefit from.
(2) You can be anonymous, but just remember rule number (1).
(3) If you know good websites, please link them to your blog comments.
(4) If you know any good products, please tell us why they help and how to purchase them.
(5) If you know any good techniques, please tell us what your disability is, why this technique works for you, and outline the technique step by step.
Thank you for your input!