Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sticky Keys

I should have added this note to the post on one-handed typing but forgot!


This post is about a wonderful feature of my PCs copy of Microsoft Word called "Sticky Keys".  The object is to write on the computer with both capitals and lower case letters.  In order to produce the upper case letters, you begin your typing session by pressing the "Shift Key" five times in quick secession. A box will pop up on the screen. In order to keep the Sticky Keys, click on the box that says "OK". The box will disappear after you make your selection.


Now, simply press one of the "Shift" keys each time you want an upper case letter or some other "upper tier" symbol. If you or another computer user accidentally cancels the Sticky Keys, simply reinstate it as above.


If you accidentally press the Shift key but did it by mistake, simply press it again to cancel it.  That way you will not get upper case where you don't want it.


Sticky Keys works great for those, like me, who cannot get used to all lower case sentences and no exclamation marks!


Please add you comments and share so tips from YOUR Single Handed Life!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really handy tip. To get 'CTRL-ALT-DEL' I had to press CTRL & ALT keys on right side of keyboard while holding down the ALT key with a wooden spoon held in my teeth!
    Similarly, to get one of the top tier symbols (like these brackets) I had to be able to span from shift key to the requited symbol with one hand.
    No more finding I forgot to cancel the CAPS LOCK key half way through a sentence either!
    This is my first visit to this site since a stroke, last Christmas, took the power on my left, sub-dominant side. It will most certainly not be my last visit. Life is easier already!
    Thank you.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    I have a Brachial plexus injury and have no use of my dominant right arm. I do most my typing on my phone using the "swype" feature.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Single Handed Life. A few rules:

(1) Be kind. Do no harm. This includes being critical of people, products, manufacturers and anything else that someone else may be getting benefit from.
(2) You can be anonymous, but just remember rule number (1).
(3) If you know good websites, please link them to your blog comments.
(4) If you know any good products, please tell us why they help and how to purchase them.
(5) If you know any good techniques, please tell us what your disability is, why this technique works for you, and outline the technique step by step.
Thank you for your input!