Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bean Bags

One way of holding books open, holding crafts in place, sewing, or other tasks that generally require one hand to hold  and one hand to operate, use a bean bag.  I made one on the sewing machine, but it was difficult, so I would recommend buying some (maybe at a toy store?) or having a friend make some for you.  I used dried beans in mine and packed it very full in order to get as much weight as possible.   It is about 5 inches by 7 inches. You could have them made in various sizes and "squishiness" in order to accommodate your needs.  Double stitch the seams about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart to keep the beans or rice from popping out.  Any other ideas for holding stuff?

2 comments:

  1. What a good idea. I just found your blog tonight and have been looking at it with interest.

    My Stroke Recovery Association is having a craft and garage sale in a couple of weeks and I think I will make a bunch of bean bags up for it in a few different sizes. I have had pretty good recovery in my left hand over the past three years, but I am still working on getting fine control and strength back.

    I will add a link to your blog from mine if that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog while doing research for a university project (I'm in my first year of Industrial Design), and I'm really interested in some of your clever techniques to complete these kinds of daily tasks with only one arm.

    My project is to design an Mp3 player for one-handed users. I was wondering if you use any kind of music device on a frequent basis, and what kinds of problems or issues you have with it. Perhaps you have a device that you chose specifically to work for you? I'm so interested to get a real-life perspective on this.

    One thing I've noticed in particular is that headphones can be a bit of a problem, as well as things like button placement and ports on the actual device.

    Any information that you could give me would be great!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Single Handed Life. A few rules:

(1) Be kind. Do no harm. This includes being critical of people, products, manufacturers and anything else that someone else may be getting benefit from.
(2) You can be anonymous, but just remember rule number (1).
(3) If you know good websites, please link them to your blog comments.
(4) If you know any good products, please tell us why they help and how to purchase them.
(5) If you know any good techniques, please tell us what your disability is, why this technique works for you, and outline the technique step by step.
Thank you for your input!